Dienstag, 29. Mai 2007

American Football in Munich

By Jenn Ghelardini


At the University of South Carolina, being in the SEC, we do not take football lightly. In fact, it is the most important thing for most students for the entire fall semester.


It is such an important part of our lives, that it is hard to imagine not living in a "football country." In Europe, soccer is their futball; it may even be more important to them. So, it was surprising for me when I met some football players from the University of Northern Ohio who said they were here to teach an American football camp to German high school students, and play the Bavarian American Football League Allstar Team.


The differences between American football in the states and Europe are interesting and worth noting.


For one, people in Munich are n0t very enthusiastic about the game, as there were not many fans in attendance at the UNO vs. All stars game.


The most humorous (and possibly not too healthy) aspect of the game is that some of the Germans drink as they say "water with gas" (sparkling water) during the game. I was always told to avoid carbonated beverages days before an important tennis meet or race, so I cannot even imagine being an athlete and drinking a carbonated beverage in the middle of a football game. The air in the carbonation distorts the absorption of oxygen to the muscles, which is not good for any physical activity, especially that as intense as football.


Another part of the UNO vs. All stars game I found interesting was how nice the Bavarian players were. Some of the Bavarian players actually shook hands with the American players in between plays. It was not the stereotypical tough guy scenario.You would not find them getting in a fight or going to jail.

I found it interesting that the football players on the Bavarian team were so polite and well behaved. Also, I found it so odd that the players drank carbonated water during the game. Overall, I love the game of football, and it was a nice change to see it played with a more relaxed and friendly environment.

Keine Kommentare: