Freitag, 25. Mai 2007

I Just Want a Waffle!

By Whitney Robosson

I just want to apologize to my German friends in advance. This is a beautiful country, the people are so friendly, and you guys just know how to get things done. But if I have to eat one more piece of pork I’m going to stage a food coup and completely take over the restaurant industry in Munich. (Except the pretzel places – you can keep doing your thing because I would have starved by now if it wasn’t for you).

Maybe it’s because I grew up in America where "variety is the spice of life," but it just seems like everything tastes the same. It’s all very heavy, usually pretty greasy, and I don’t even know what food group half the stuff falls in. And I can’t read the menus, so it’s like every night I’m ordering the mystery dish. Actually, that’s a lie. I at least know it’s going to be pork. Pork with potatoes. Pork with dumplings. Pork on bread. Fried pork on a stick. Pork pizza. Pork mixed with pork, sprinkled with a pork garnish. Pork, pork, pork, pork, pork.

I just want a waffle! I’ve wanted a waffle ever since I smelled my first German meal. It really doesn’t make sense because I rarely eat waffles at home. A waffle is pretty much the opposite of the average “main course” served in the restaurants I’ve been to in Germany – light, fluffy, sweet. I’m so afraid I sound ignorant and offensive right now. I know I’ve only been here for two weeks and I haven’t tried a lot of food outside of Munich. Also, I do have to give props to the German way of cooking, because everything is FRESH. Germans go grocery shopping multiple times a week so food doesn’t need all the preservatives and additives (unlike American food).

Imagine a waffle cooked in Germany! It would be so much better than the frozen stuff I get back home. Mountains of fresh strawberries, drizzled with a little bit of fresh squeezed strawberry juice, topped with a dab of whipped cream, all on top of a freshly baked waffle. Well today I saw that waffle. Kelly and I were roaming around random parts of Munich when we decided to get a bite to eat at a chicken place (which is rare because Germans don’t eat a lot of chicken like we do). It was way after lunchtime, so the restaurant was practically deserted. Since this was one of the few times I’ve seen chicken on a menu, I decided to order it.

Not even two seconds later, Kelly reached over to another table where they had a tiny menu called “strawberry time” (at least that’s what Kelly said, I can’t read German). The very first item listed was a fresh strawberry waffle. Kelly and I jumped up and raced back to the kitchen so I could get our server to change my order. Although he had just written it down on a scrap of paper and handed it to the cook, he refused. He said it was “already being cooked.” I think he meant already spinning in the microwave, because the chicken I ordered was lukewarm and covered in grease. I was so upset! I had finally found my waffle (after Mario and Melina had told me they had no clue where I could find a waffle) and the guy wouldn’t even let me order it.

Everyone on this trip with me is probably sick and tired of me talking about waffles, so I just want you to know that it ends here. I won’t mention a waffle again. But if anyone knows where I can get a waffle in Munich, don’t hesitate to comment on my blog.

2 Kommentare:

. hat gesagt…

Just come to marble slab. we have ROLLED UP waffles. double the fun. with strawberries INSIDE. heck, we might throw on some ice cream and strawberry juice. oh yeah.

julia hat gesagt…

I think you could have some luck finding waffles at the News Bar in Schwabing (Amalienstr. 55 U3/6 Universität). If they don't have any, there are some Cafés around that area (Vorstadtcafé - Türkenstr. or Schall & Rauch) where you might have more luck. Just check out the breakfast menues (in most Cafés available till approx. 16.00) - that's where waffles hide most of the time :)
For pancakes, you could try zoozies at Baldeplatz (www.zooziez.de) which is a little expensive, but they have lots of other "non-pork" stuff on their menu, too.
Good luck!