Samstag, 26. Mai 2007

Shopping - a form of torture

By Kelly Enright

We only have two more full days in Munich. It`s hard to believe that we`ve already been here for 12 days. I had planned to rent bikes and wander around the city with Tanner and Whitney, but once I had showered I really didn`t feel like getting all nasty and sweaty. So my laziness took over and instead I did what any girl would do with a few free hours: Shop!!

Let me explain to you exactly What I got myself into. We are staying in the center of the city, only a few blocks from Marienplatz, which is the main shopping area. By the time I neared this wonderful area of shopping, I quickly realized that perhaps biking would have been a much less strenuous task. I slowly entered the crowds, only to be shoved, jabbed, and tripped. I am being completely serious. These Germans take their shopping seriously. Now I must add that there are plenty of Americans here, given the amount of stores, and they aren`t the least bit polite either. It feels like it is at least 90 degrees outside, and the sun is angled perfectly to fill up the entire street, there is no escaping its fury. Once again, at least if I had gone biking we would have been in an out of some shade.

Well my main purpose for shopping today was to find a dress that Maddy, another student on our trip, purchased at H & M, a very popular clothing store. After I made it to the correct store and fought my way in, I felt just like I was at a Carolina football game, trying to get in the front gate. Everyone is fighting to make it to the person scanning the tickets. If I tried to pick up a shirt and look at it, someone had to pass in between me and the shirt. Does that make ANY sense? If they would let me continue looking, then maye I would be able to leave faster. But I was on a mission, and the other shoppers were NOT going to get in my way.

I will not continue to explain the hell of my shopping experience, but I did find the dress. Thank goodness. On the way back from this torture I call shopping I spotted a waffle stand. Too bad Whitney had to go bike riding! I am not sure if all you readers out there have read Whitney`s post on craving waffles, but I recommend you do, it is hilarious. So I found this waffle stand, and our course I had to stop. The waffle was amazing. Freshly cooked and topped with powdered sugar. Delicious!!

As I sit in the Telephone-Internet shop, I am reviewing the events of this afternoon. And I have come to the conclusion that I am not lazy, because I participated in what feels like a Triathalon. I am just as sweaty as the bikers are, I am sure of it. And as I have mentioned before, there is no AC anywhere. So I will not cool down until I take a cold shower. Bummer. I cannot imagine everytime I went shopping on the weekend in Munich to be worse than the day after Thanksgiving. But I found my dress, so it is all worth it.

Ahh, one little thing I noticed: After I stopped by McDonalds for lunch I bought a copy of USA Today at a newsstand. Now I can tell I miss the states, because if I was at home, I would never have done such a thing. So, as I mentioned, I have two more full days in Munich. I hope I experience some more exciting things to update all you readers out there!!!

Keine Kommentare: