Sonntag, 27. Mai 2007

Proust to Bavarian Hospitality!

By Jenn Ghelardini

Whenever anyone uses the phrase "Southern Hospitality" he more than likely is referring to the deep south in America. Interestingly, the saying holds true in Germany. In Bavaria, the southern most state in Germany, it seems the people are just as polite and hospitable as in South Carolina.

I accompanied Maddy and Sarah to interview HFF student Julia, and much to our excitement she turned out to be one of the nicest people I have ever met- anywhere.

She met us at the train station, so we would not get lost on the way to her apartment. When we arrived at her apartment, it was tidied up, and ready for guests. Much to our surprise and enjoyment, it was full of the wonderful aroma of something baking. It turned out Julia had made a homemade apple cake to offer us during the interview.

Julia was already helping us out, just for letting us interview her. It was also so nice of her to invite us into her home, but on top of it all to make us a homemade dessert- she had gone above and beyond! Needless to say, Julia, Maddy, Sarah, and I finished the cake, which was more like an apple pie or strudel, in no time. It was so delicious!!

I feel like the German people I have met on this trip have all gone out of their way to make my friends and I feel welcome. It is so nice to discover how inviting, friendly, and caring people are all over the world. Everywhere I go, I feel as if I'm out with old friends, and I plan to keep in contact with many of the Germans I have met. They truly have turned out to be some of the most genuinely nice people I have ever met.

Thank you Julia, and Germany for making my trip such a great one!

(I'll post the photos soon!!)

Keine Kommentare: