Samstag, 19. Mai 2007

Cultural differences

By Kelly Enright

Imagine waking up one morning and not having your normal bowl of cheerios. Well recently I experienced that. But not only were my cheerios missing, so was my car, my air conditioning, and even ice for my drinks! Guess what -- that’s what studying abroad is all about. In only the last four days I have experienced so many things outside of my comfort zone I never would have allowed to happen in the States.

Here are a few of the differences Mary and I jotted down during dinner tonight. Hopefully they will help you see into our own German experience.

1. Public Transportation: Everyone uses it. If not, they own a Mercedes, BMW, or small “Smart” cars comparable in size to golf carts. You will need to study the transportation system in detail for many weeks before you arrive, and a doctorate in German transportation wouldn’t hurt. Unless you want to sleep on the street, and that isn’t uncommon. (Munich is a big metropolis, after all.)

2. White asparagus (a.k.a. “Spargel”): It’s currently in season in Germany and is the main dish at every German restaurant. You have to try it. It is actually rather tasty. And by tasty, I mean good tasty, not tasty as in weird foreign stuff I can’t even pronounce.

3. Healthy food: Germans are much healthier than Americans in general. They walk everywhere. And the places they can’t walk to, they either bike to or ride a train to and then walk the rest of the way. Although it seems like they eat more carbohydrates, their lifestyle appears to burns them off, unlike that of Americans, who order delivery from the couch. I noticed at dinner that most of the dishes weren’t filled with the normal double portions of noodles with two pieces of bread and a side of potatoes. From what I’ve seen, Germans include a serving of protein, vegetables, and carbs at each meal. Why can’t Americans catch onto this trend? Probably because we are too lazy to even try it. I know, that couch is comfy.

4. Native language: Although I have studied German, I realized through the other members of the group how hard it really is to study in a country where you don’t speak the language. When someone can’t find the restroom or even order a glass of water, they feel helpless. Mary, our resident German speaker, has saved us many times from finding a table for eight (with menus in English) to helping us figure out that the tram was delayed because of a car accident (if not we would have continued standing for another 20 minutes, if not more!). I am so relieved that I know enough German to get by. If you plan on traveling abroad I recommend at least getting that little “German for Dummies” book and listening to the CD. Anything can help. Especially if you have to pee.

5. Punctuality: Germans are NEVER late. Ever. Apparently in the United States, we feel that if someone says we are supposed to be there at 9 a.m, he is just joking, because really, 10 a.m. is better. Well, the Germans don’t play games with punctuality. They are ALWAYS on time. Always. One night we were lucky enough to be invited to a film premier at the TV and Film University we are currently partnered with. We arrived about three minutes late, and the entire theater was being held up for us. After being rushed in and stared at, the director’s opening speech starting within 30 seconds. How embarrassing! So when you travel, learn the customs because it is embarrassing enough to be late, but much worse when your hosts are usually early.

6. Shopping: Today was my first shopping excursion in Munich. Besides the fact that I walked a complete circle for 15 minutes before I realized it, I had quite an interesting experience. Whitney and I ventured though Marienplatz, which is the popular shopping area. They have stores ranging from the local bakery to Swarovski and Cartier. I quickly realized that the majority of the stores were very high-end. And there were lots of them. Usually two or three of the same store within two blocks. The population of Munich is very rich, and the shopping culture accommodates them. In South Carolina, we have an Eckerd every few blocks, not United Colors of Benneton or Armani. I’ll just wait to shop until I reach the next Target.

7. Restaurant service: As a server at Ruby Tuesday, I work my butt off every shift. From filling up water glasses to bringing out food and the check, our guests expect everything to be perfect and on time. Well in Germany you’re in for quite a change. Instead of that 30-minute in-and-out meal, plan for a two-hour excursion. Although you may be seated promptly, you will wait at least 10 minutes before even approached by your server. Now there is a difference because the servers in Germany receive a reasonable salary, which is much more than the $2.13 an hour in the States. In Germany, they take their time meandering amongst their tables, taking your order and bringing out your food as they like. So sit tight, and if you’re hungry, eat before you come, because you are here for the long haul.

8. “Cigarettes, sir?”: Have you ever been eating peacefully, and had a man walk up carrying a stack of newspapers, or perhaps a bag full of cigarettes? Well, in Germany this is the norm in restaurants. People are allowed to attempt to sell whatever they please. And it’s legal. Now isn’t that interesting.

9. Hurry up and eat! You know how much it stinks when everyone’s food is at the table except for one person? And then you have to wait while their food gets cold? Well this is not the case in Germany. Whenever your food arrives, you are expected to eat it. Tonight, I was the last person, by probably about 15 minutes, to receive my food. And this is normal. Now while I watched the first person finish their food, I was still waiting … and waiting. But I suppose it makes sense. If your food is hot, why not eat it?

Well, I hope these few observations have given you some small insight into the German culture, and why it’s so interesting to spend time in country other than your own. As I notice more cultural differences, be sure I’ll keep you posted, so keep checking the site. Gute Nacht!

11 Kommentare:

Tony hat gesagt…

Dear Kelly, just try a better restaurant. Maybe "Lutter and Wegener"! They have very good wines! ciao Toni

Anonym hat gesagt…

http://markonzo.edu magic story very thanks actual ashley furniture [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536072]actual ashley furniture[/url], 85677, watch allegiant air [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536075]watch allegiant air[/url], rxtigwc, best pressure washers [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536078]best pressure washers[/url], waewjh, follow dishnetwork [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536080]follow dishnetwork[/url], qvvuf, fresh adt security [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536076]fresh adt security[/url], mlytlwg,

Anonym hat gesagt…

http://lumerkoz.edu Excellent work, Nice Design http://riderx.info/members/Buy-Meridia-Online.aspx drones http://www.comicspace.com/nexium/ grutter callaghan http://rc8forum.com/members/Buy-Ezetimibe.aspx entrance http://soundcloud.com/zolpidem daylong alamogordo http://rc8forum.com/members/Buy-Zanaflex.aspx painted

Anonym hat gesagt…

He told her that the watch would stay with her until he came back. The sound of the watch was his fine-sounding words. He promised he would come back and marry her.[url=http://www.sunglassescool.com/porsche-design-sunglasses.html]Porsche Design Sunglasses[/url]
Rolex watches are amazing. A gorgeous Rolex watch looks great and stylish. As we all know that Rolex watches are known for its strength and endurance, that's why Rolex watches have a good reputation for so many years. And also you will see the quality and precision reflected in each Rolex watch. So, Rolex is a name that thousands of people had dreamed of.

Anonym hat gesagt…

how to get clomid | where can i buy clomid online - how to get clomid without a prescription, what is the next step after clomid

Anonym hat gesagt…

[b][url=http://www.luxurybagswebsite.co.uk/]louis vuitton purses[/url][/b] Gucci Barclay Rearfoot System Footwear or boots is from Prada Winter season and drop 2009 Assortment. It characteristics grayPerblack color buckskin with darkish patent leather cut in addition to the lustrous gold tools lighting fixtures about the supple leather-based, adding a hint of modernity. Interlocking Gary ornament seems to be elegant and it is actually telling this pleasant footwear is from primary trend brand title, Gucci.

[b][url=http://www.uggsukwebsite.co.uk/]uggs uk sale[/url][/b] During the midst of all rush is the enforced waiting. Waiting that individuals make use of in a variety of strategies. Among the details that I love most executing is checking out men and women baggage and imagining the things they do to get a residing, where they been, where by they heading to and what they could possibly be like if I understood them..

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonpursesvip.com/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] Soon after all, the handbags also are attached on the sandals or sneakers. Ladies connect enormous great importance on the purses match up the whole outfit that you just are truly worth. There are plenty of purses outlets you may pick out your preferred 1 from, ladies handbags, designer handbags, luxurious handbags, leather purses, fashion leather-based purses, online purses, brand handbags etc.

[b][url=http://www.luxurypursestore.com/]louis vuitton shoes[/url][/b] Ordinarily the president on the firm, the CEO reports towards the Chairman in the Board. of DFS Group. Ed is often a strong chief which has a tested record as a merchant and manager. Fly throughout off-peak times and dates. Airways give cheaper ticket costs any time you fly during "red eye" hrs, or the instances involving nine in the evening around 6 from the early morning. Tickets can also be more cost-effective in the course of off-peak seasons.

[b][url=http://www.uggsukwebsite.co.uk/]ugg uk[/url][/b] Inflammatory joints could even further guide to joint decay and back again pain. Muscle mass imbalances might be the causes for amount of muscles, metabolic and postural dysfunctions and syndromes. Reports have proved that an incredibly superior percentage of folks with again soreness undergo because of to restricted muscle groups or muscle imbalances.

Anonym hat gesagt…

http://leierer.org/test/?q=node/138459 allerremorp business to start with 1000 blisk [url=http://knacknook.com/?q=node/27590]Earn Money Blogging[/url]

Anonym hat gesagt…

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/order-amoxicillin/]amoxicillin 875 mg price
[/url]amoxicillin mg\/kg dose
amoxicillin order online no prescription
amoxicillin 500 mg how to take

Anonym hat gesagt…

[url=http://saclongchampa.deviantart.com/journal/]longchamp soldes[/url] Cabbage: Cabbage is a great "stretcher" of your dollar, and it's healthy too. Try to Purchase Vogue Mulberry Men Classic Tote Bag Black,2013 Mulberry Factory Shop York hot sale online. get a smaller head of cabbage since the larger ones can end up being surprisingly heavy (and thus pricier). You'll likely use only half the head for the fennel slaw.
[url=http://en.netlog.com/longchamppaschers/blog]sacs longchamps[/url] First Aid: To guarantee that the occasional bump, scrape, or pain won't take you out of your game, you have to come with the correct first aid supplies. Antacid, Tylenol, and Dramamine are good basics to start with. In addition clear Band-aids, Neosporin, Icy Hot/Biofreeze and instant ice packs can be Mulberry big sale in our shop, welcome to shop for the Highly Appreciated Mulberry Women's East West Bayswater Printed Leather Shoulder Black Bag at discounted price, a variety of mulberry bags uk sale, all in high quality and reasonable prices. very helpful.
[url=http://longchamppliagea.iloveblog.com]sac longchamps[/url] Also you should keep the cost of making the suit in mind. Placing the North face jackets from our store. They are with the reasonable price and enough choices. And you should also carry with you a list of important phone numbers to call in case your purse or wallet containing passport, tickets or credit cards are lost or stolen. Ask yourself you much you are prepared to spend on a handbag purchase. Decide what you want to spend on an expensive bag or if the over the top credit card charges are worth it.. Paula Abdul, 50, is working with the iconic beauty brand to curate theirlatest new accessories line, selected by Paula Abdul. Her glamorous and sparkly festive pieces will be sure to compliment your holiday fashion and makeup wardrobes! Of Paula, Avon Fashion Director, Katie Lucas, says, "as a multi-talented, empowered woman who has achieved so much on her own terms, Paula Abdul is Authentic Mulberry Outlet Standard Alexa Leather Satchel Black Bag outlet sale all style of Mulberry bags a great fit for Avon. She was such a great partner in helping us design this collection - it truly embodies her approachable brand of glamour.".

Anonym hat gesagt…

You were visited simply with a brilliant idea
You realize, in told...
I will know, I thank for the help in this question.
Bravo, what phrase..., a magnificent idea
And other variant is?

[url=http://yaba.com/michaelkorschea/blog/45183/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://cheapbags8.soup.io/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyipo.loveblog.com.br/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyipp.smartlog.dk/things-that-you-ought-to-carry-inside-your-handbag-post1262840][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://cheapbagmk2.soup.io/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]

Anonym hat gesagt…

http://www.markbattypublisher.com/jsp/buytramadol/#1003 tramadol online without rx - tramadol dosage uses